Epidemiology and Public Health
|Kod przedmiotu:||WL-E6L3.EpidemPH||Kod Erasmus / ISCED:||12.1 / (0912) Medycyna|
|Nazwa przedmiotu:||Epidemiology and Public Health|
|Jednostka:||Szkoła Medyczna dla Obcokrajowców|
Przedmioty III rok, kierunek lekarski, studia stacjonarne, tok 6-letni po angielsku
|Punkty ECTS i inne:||
zobacz reguły punktacji
Zajęcia w cyklu "Rok akademicki 2020/2021" (w trakcie)
|Okres:||2020-10-01 - 2021-06-15||
zobacz plan zajęć
Ćwiczenia praktyczne, 10 godzin więcej informacji
Seminarium, 30 godzin więcej informacji
|Prowadzący grup:||Aleksander Gałaś|
|Lista studentów:||(nie masz dostępu)|
|Zaliczenie:||Przedmiot - Egzamin|
|Ocena wliczana do średniej:||
(tylko po angielsku) Classes of Epidemiology and Public Health include issues related to individual and population health assessment, supervision, factors (non-modifiable and modifiable) determining the health status and methods to use this knowledge in health promotion, prevention and good organization of public health.
The aim of the module is:
Acquisition of theoretical and practical skills in the assessment of population he alth status, identification of risk factors of infectious and chronic diseases and the organization and functioning of public health, including the prevention and health promotion and organization.
After completion of the course the student:
In the frame of knowledge:
• knows methods to assess the health status of individuals and populations, justification for the use of individual measures, various systems of diseases classification
• knows incidence of infectious and chronic diseases, ways to prevent at the various stages of the natural history of the disease and the role of epidemic surveillance
• knows rules how to conduct of scientific research, observation and intervention aimed at the development of medicine
• knows ways of identifying and investigating risk factors, advantages and disadvantages of different types of epidemiological studies and measures talking about the presence of cause-and-effect relationship
• knows measure of speaking about role of risk factors at the population level (risk assigned, etiological fraction)
• knows basis of medicine based on evidence
• is familiar with environmental and epidemiological most common diseases including cancer
• knows basis for early detection of disease (particularly cancer) and importance (economic and health aspects) of screening for population
• knows principles of health promotion, its tasks and main lines of action with particular focus on role of the elements of a healthy lifestyle
• is familiar with the concept of public health, its goals, objectives and the structure and organization of the health system at national and global level, and the impact of economic conditions on the ability to protect the health
• knows the basic regulations regarding organization and financing of health care, public health insurance
• is familiar with models of health strategies, institutions (partners) involved in the process
• knows the principles of cost analysis at the level of public health
• knows the rules of the exchange of knowledge between research ('knowledge producers') and health professionals ('knowledge' users)
In the frame of skills:
• can describes the demographic structure of the population and on that basis assess the health problems of the population
• is able to interpret measure the incidence of disease and disability, assess the epidemiological situation of diseases commonly occurring in the country
• is able to obtain information on the presence of risk factors communicable and chronic diseases, and plan preventive measures at different levels of prevention –taking into account the medical aspect and the organization of activities at the public health level
• can critically analyze the medical literature and draws conclusions based on the available literature sources, is able to recognize the level of credibility of the guidelines
In the frame of social competence:
• cooperate with other professionals in the field of health
• demonstrate responsibility for own professional development, contribution to the further development of medical science, to share own knowledge with others
• recognize own limitations, makes self-assessment of deficits and learning needs, planning own educational activity
(tylko po angielsku) none
|Forma i warunki zaliczenia:||
(tylko po angielsku) -grading scheme: based on the lab assignments, essay and the final exam (multiple-choice questions)
-absences allowed: 3
-type of the final crediting: a grade based on:
1) the result for the investigation of an outbreak (max.100%)-contributes as 10% to the final score
2) the quality of the presentation (study design topic, requirements will be provided separately) (max.100%) - contributes as 10% to the final score
3) the average result for the assignments provided during study design labs (max.100%)- contributes as 10% to the final score
4) an essay discussing the development of public health strategies for a particular health related problem (requirements will be provided separately) (max.100%) - contributes as 20% to the final score
5) the result of the final exam - contributes as 50% to the final score
It is necessary to get at least 50% (as an average) out of max.100% to get final credit for a course.
50.0 - 59.9%: (3.0)
60.0 - 69.9%: (3.5)
70.0 - 79.9%: (4.0)
80.0 - 89.0%: (4.5)
90.0 – 100%: (5.0)
|Metody sprawdzania i kryteria oceny efektów kształcenia uzyskanych przez studentów:||
(tylko po angielsku) Assessment of knowledge:
Based on the results of partial tests -closed or open questions at the end of each meeting. Each test evaluated on a scale of 0-100%
Based on the final credit -test with 40 questions
Skills assessment based on:
I. submitted presentation and led discussion – evaluation criteria is an assessment (in% values on a scale of 0-100%) the fulfillment of the following requirements:
-presentation of description a specific type of study (the principle of inclusion, gathering information, advantages and limitations, fitness for a particular purpose)
-presentation of publication for discussion (target, type of study, inclusion and exclusion criteria, data acquisition, analysis and results, summary)
-discussion on benefits and limitations, advantages and disadvantages
II. Developing a short essay presenting the diagnosis of a health problem at the population level, a proposal for preventive measures and model strategy on public health, the proposal to assess the costs and the exchange of knowledge (evaluation on a scale of 0-100%).
Skills deemed to be included if the student received >50% of each of them.
|Metody dydaktyczne - słownik:||
Metody podające - objaśnienie lub wyjaśnienie
(tylko po angielsku) Method of cases, seminars, individual work of the student, working in a group. Techniques are used to both knowledge transfer and guiding the work of groups and individuals and getting skill of independent problem solving and knowledge acquisition.
|Bilans punktów ECTS:||
(tylko po angielsku) Activities requiring direct participation of academic staff and students:
Seminars and classes -40 hours
Student workload include:
Participation in seminars and classes -40 hours
Preparation for classes -10 hours
Preparation of presentations -3 hours
Development of public health program, preparation for discussions -7 hours
Total - 60 hours 2 ECTS
Number of credits included in the S index is 2
Teaching time academic staff includes 40 hours
Student workload associated with activities that require direct participation of teachers and students: 1.33
|Grupa treści kształcenia:||
Grupa treści podstawowych
|Wymiar, zasady i forma odbywania praktyk:||
(tylko po angielsku) not applicable
(tylko po angielsku) |
Epidemiology and Public Health course includes issues related to individual and population health assessment, supervision, factors (non-modifiable and modifiable) determining the health status and methods to use this knowledge in health promotion, prevention and good organization of public health.
(tylko po angielsku) |
Epidemiology and Public Health course includes issues related to individual and population health assessment, supervision, factors (non-modifiable and modifiable) determining the health status and methods to use this knowledge in health promotion, prevention and good organization of public health. The course covers the following topics:
• Objectives and tasks of epidemiology and public health. Requirement for dissemination and dimension of health effects in human populations.
• Basics of demographics. Demographic characteristics and the occurrence of diseases. The role of demographics in epidemiology and public health
• Determinants of health. Factors influencing the health status of the population. New measures assessing population health burdens. Sources of information and classifications.
• The role of epidemiology in assessing the risk factors affecting the health of populations and individuals
• The strategy of epidemiological studies. The role of descriptive epidemiological studies in generating hypotheses about etiology of diseases and determining cause and effect relationship. Planning, implementation and interpretation of the results of cross-cutting observational studies, case-control and cohort
• Randomized controlled trials in epidemiology and clinical medicine. Clinical epidemiology. The role of epidemiological studies in the setting of guidelines for prevention and treatment.
• Epidemiology of infectious diseases. The epidemic process. The epidemic triad. Types of epidemics. Rules for epidemic outbreak
• The role of epidemiological research on the prevention of infectious diseases. The principles and the importance of epidemiological surveillance. Epidemiology of nosocomial infections.
• Disease prevention strategies. Levels of prevention. Screening.
• Environmental epidemiology. The main risk factors. Sources of information and assessment of exposure.
• Social epidemiology. Social determinants of health in public health.
• Fundamentals of molecular epidemiology. The importance of biomarkers.
• Aims and tasks of public health. The role of public health within the health care system concept.
• Social and economic determinants of public health. Health promotion and prevention in public health.
• Health protections models, assumptions and ways of functioning. Public health programs. Models of funding for public health. Analysis of cost in regards to effects.
(tylko po angielsku) |
1. Epidemiologic Methods in Studying Chronic Diseases Jędrychowski, Maugeri. 2000 International Center for Studies and Research in Biomedicinein Luxemburg. 83-904896-3-5
2. Medical Epidemiology. Greenberg, Daniels, Flanders. 2005 (or newer). The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc
3. Concepts of Epidemiology: Integrating the ideas, theories, principles and methods of epidemiology. Bhopal RS. 2008 (or newer). Oxford University Press. 978-0-19-9543144.
4. Oxford Textbook of Public Health (5 ed.); Edited by Roger Detels, Robert Beaglehole, Mary Ann Lansang, Martin Gulliford; 2009 (or newer) Publisher: Oxford University Press; ISBN-13: 9780199218707
Właścicielem praw autorskich jest Uniwersytet Jagielloński w Krakowie.